>> OSIS || Online Student Records || Login
>> Staff webmail || Downloads || Moodle LMS
>> Our Events || News || Academic Calendar
The Diploma programmes seek to provide students and workers with a range of skills and knowledge that will enable them to work effectively, creatively and professionally. The courses are also designed for students or workers who are interested in exploring and developing an art practice through collaboration with a variety of community groups and in diverse range of settings.
Graduate of these may take up careers as teachers of Art and Design at the primary and post-primary level or work in related areas. The courses also develop the student’s understanding of the ways in which art experiences can be used to promote the aesthetic, intellectual/ personal and social development of both the young and the old.
The aims of the programmes are:
• The curriculum is designed to provide each student with requisite skills to practice as a self-employed studio artist, legible to be employed and the academic credits for further studies in Art.
• To offer well-structured curriculum aimed at encouraging the student to be innovative rather them imitative
• To equip the student with digital design application to meet current standards of art and design production
• To provide basic entrepreneurial skills in a selected Art discipline.
The programmes are:
• Diploma in Textiles
• Diploma in Ceramics
• Diploma in Sculpture
• Diploma in Basketry
• Diploma in Picture Making
• Diploma in Leatherwork
• Diploma in Jewellery
Graduates from the programmes can be employed by:
• The Ghana Education Service
• Other Educational Institutions
• Government and Private Agencies
• Non-governmental Organisations
• Fabric Designers
• Industrial product designers
Applicants must possess, at least, ONE of the following qualifications
• One-Year Certificate in Art
• Teacher’s Certificate ‘A’/ Diploma
• Five (5) Passes in SSSCE /WASSCE including Mathematics and English Language and three (3) Visual Arts Elective subjects
• Advance Handicraft Teacher’s Certificate or City and Guilds Advance or Technician Part II or III.
The courses offered by the Art Education Department under these programmes are designed to provide foreigners, who are interested in African Art in general and Ghanaian Art in particular, a platform to:
• view exciting, unique and exotic Ghanaian Art artefacts and interact with them
• have a personal experience of the making of Ghanaian artefacts
• interact with and learn from people who make a living though the production of these Ghanaian Art artefacts
• learn to personally make some of these unique Ghanaian artefacts
• have a lively discussion to ensure that students gain knowledge of historical and contemporary Art of Ghana As far as students from outside Ghana are concerned, they have to meet the admission requirements for the respective course in the university
© University of Education, Winneba. || UEW Website Policy ||