The programme seeks to provide:
• Quality Chemistry Education teachers who will be recognised nationally and internationally for their efficiency in producing excellent chemistry teaching in schools.
• Help students to appreciate the beauty of chemistry in explaining nature.
• Opportunities for students to develop their unique pedagogical content knowledge (PCKs).
• A conducive atmosphere for interaction between recognized science educationists in order to produce excellent chemistry educators.
Objectives of the programme
The Chemistry Education programme objectives are to:
• Prepare teachers adequately to teach Chemistry up to the SHS level in Ghana.
• Train students to teach chemistry as their minor areas up to SHS level.
• Provide an enabling environment for students to undertake practical activities that will enhance their understanding of concepts in science, especially in chemistry teaching.
• Help students to organise their creative knowledge, practical skills and research abilities to design teaching and learning materials for use in teaching in the secondary schools.
• Provide opportunities for students to engage in academic and educational research that will help to promote chemistry education in Ghana and elsewhere.
• SHS certificate holders
• HND holders in subjects relevant to the programme
• Diploma holders