The programme seeks to:
• increase students’ knowledge about all aspects of organisms, to encourage greater benevolence in the relationship between humans and the natural environment and to implement biological factors into various technologies or management techniques
• further the education of students in a range of biological and related sciences in order to equip them to teach Biology at Senior High Schools
• promote the development of appropriate teaching aptitudes and skills, and the provision of pedagogical experiences on which the student can build a sound philosophy and approach
The Biology Education programme has the following specific objectives:
• produce quality Biology Education teachers who will be recognised nationally and internationally for their efficiency in producing excellent biology teaching in schools.
• prepare teachers adequately to teach Biology up to the SHS level in Ghana.
• help students to appreciate the beauty of biology in explaining nature.
• Opportunities for students to develop their unique pedagogical content knowledge (PCKs).
• provide a conducive atmosphere for interaction between recognised science educationists in order to produce excellent biology educators.
• help students to organise their creative knowledge, practical skills and research abilities to design teaching and learning materials for use in teaching in the senior high schools
• provide opportunities for students to engage in academic and educational research that will help to promote biology education in Ghana and elsewhere.
• SHS certificate holders
• HND holders in subjects relevant to the programme
• Diploma holders